Palisades is a medium to coarse textured turf noted for its shade tolerance and low water requirements. It is a high density turf that is especially suitable for home lawns. Palisades has proven itself to be an excellent choice for low- maintenance landscapes. Due to its low light requirements, it has become useful when there is a need to address shady areas in the landscape. It has reasonably good salt tolerance. Palisades is best known for its performance in shady lawns or areas, its drought tolerance, and its rapid recuperative ability, which makes it a grass that can withstand a high volume of foot traffic.
Newly planted Palisades Zoysia should be watered daily and soaked thoroughly to a depth of 3 inches for the first two weeks to avoid dry out. Then, reduce the amount of water but maintain the daily frequency for the following two weeks, or until the lawn is established. Once it is established, watering needs will vary based upon the type of soil present. It is always best to mimic the environment by watering heavier every few days rather than watering lightly every day. For sandier soils, 3/4 of an inch per watering will completely saturate the soil and everything else will simply percolate through. For heavier clay soils, you can water up to 2 inches at a time before saturation is reached. For this reason, heavier soils should be watered heavily but less frequently (every 3-4 days) and sandy soils will need less water but more frequency (every 2-3 days). Once it is established, watering should be reduced to every other day providing 1.5-2 inches of water a week. Established Palisades Zoysia is considered to be a drought tolerant grass.
An established Palisades Zoysia lawn should be mowed every week during the growing season with optimum mowing height of 1.5 to 2 inches with a rotary mower or 1/2 to 1.5 inches with a reel mower. When maintained as a golf course fairway or sports field, Palisades will require approximately two weekly mowings with a reel mower at heights ranging from ½ to ⅞ of an inch.
An established Palisades Zoysia lawn should be fertilized with 3-4 lbs of Nitrogen per 1,000 sq.ft. per year, for a high quality maintained turf. Or, for a high quality, low maintenance turf, Palisades should be fertilized with a more modest 1 1/2 to 3 lbs of Nitrogen per 1,000 sq.ft. per year.
- Medium to Coarse Texture
- Uniform Density
- Stolons and Rhizomes
- Excellent Establishment
- Rapid Re-Growth and Recuperation from Damage
- Few Seed Heads
- Tolerates Close Mowing (1/2")
- Vertical Growth / Less Trimming
- Drought Tolerant
- Shade Tolerant
- Cold Hardy
- Heat Tolerant
- Salt Tolerant
Medium to dark green
Medium blade with dense foliage.
It tolerates a relatively wide range of soil types but is best suited to well drained fertile soils. pH TOLERANCE Range: 6.5 to 7.0 is ideal.
Zoysia has good recuperative qualities and is fairly wear resistant.
Zoysia has good to excellent shade tolerance when compared to other grasses.
Enter Your Address to Zoom In
- Find and zoom in on the desired address using the Search tool.
- Left click on the map to start plotting points.
- Continue clicking around the perimeter to add more points.
- The Square Footage and Border of the area will be updated.
- Adjust an area as needed by dragging its points.
Having trouble deciding which sod is best for your application? Let this guide help you Choose the Best Sod
* Woerner Turf recommends annual pH testing and adjustment in accordance with soil test recommendations.
* Any suitable organic based fertilizer may be subsituted for any single scheduled application.
* Routine scheduled application of insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides are recommended to aid in the prevention of weeds, insects and disease.
* Product combinations of fertilizer and weed control may be utilized but Woerner Turf recommends separate applications to target specific issues as they occur.
* Application of pesticides are indicated during summer months as these months are when pest issues are most likely to be exposed. These applications may or may not be necessary depending on individual situations.