A course-textured grass with wide blades, dark green in color.
Taking good care of your lawn often requires no more work overall than taking poor care of it. A lawn that is properly mowed, fertilized and watered has far fewer problems with weeds, diseases and insects. A well kept lawn also remains dense and attractive, providing you much more enjoyment and environmental benefits.
Water needs are moderate to high, and thrives on wet sites-apply 0.5 to 1 inch of water as a deep soaking every 3 to 6 days to encourage a deep, healthy root system during dry or hot periods. Avoid frequent, shallow watering that results in shallow roots, permitting weed germination and growth.
Optimum mowing height 2 - 3 inches for a high quality lawn, mow too low and weeds are likely to gain a foothold. Mow regularly with a sharp rotary or reel mower, allowing clippings from frequent mowing to remain on the lawn. Never remove more that 1/3 of the shoot growth at one mowing. A mild vertical cutting may be needed during the warmer months on a vigorous turf that has received high nitrogen fertilization.
Fertilize twice a year, spring and fall, with a complete fertilizer containing nitrogen, phosphate and potassium. May also apply 2 to 3 summer applications of nitrogen fertilizer using 1 lb. Nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. Apply nitrogen at 2 to 66 lbs. Per 1,000 sq. ft. per year. Too high a rate of nitrogen fertilization can increase thatch build-up, encourage chinch bugs and brown patch damage.
DISEASE, WEED & INSECT CONTROL
A well-maintained turf will provide the best weed control. Some varieties are resistant or tolerant of chinch bugs and to the St. Augustine decline (SAD) virus. Most fungal diseases of St. Augustine grass can be controlled with fungicides.
Wider blade than Classic St. Augustine
Desirable pH range of 6.0 - 6.9. Grows on a wide range of soils, but prefers neutral to alkaline soils-has excellent saline salt tolerance.
Floratam has good recuperative qualities and is fairly wear resistant. However, it is not recommended for high traffic areas.
Floratam does well in moderate to full sunlight.
Enter Your Address to Zoom In
- Find and zoom in on the desired address using the Search tool.
- Left click on the map to start plotting points.
- Continue clicking around the perimeter to add more points.
- The Square Footage and Border of the area will be updated.
- Adjust an area as needed by dragging its points.
Having trouble deciding which sod is best for your application? Let this guide help you Choose the Best Sod
* Woerner recommends annual pH testing and adjustment in accordance with soil test recommendations.
* Any suitable organic based fertilizer may be subsituted for any single scheduled application.
* Routine scheduled application of insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides are recommended to aid in the prevention of weeds, insects and disease.
* Product combinations of fertilizer and weed control may be utilized but Woerner recommends separate applications to target specific issues as they occur.
* Chinch Bugs are typically active during the months June thru Sept. Monitor and apply appropriate pesticide as lable recommends.
* Application of pesticides are indicated during summer months as these months are when pest issues are most likely to be exposed. These applications may or may not be necessary depending on individual situations.